Ok, so I think officially, tomorrow is Earth Day - but really, the last few years it has been more like Earth Week. In the past I haven't ever done anything to celebrate, but in the last few months I have really been thinking more about our world and the environment. There are certain things that I always do, that I always have done, but it is mostly because I am frugal, but a lot of them are great ways to do little things to help out our planet:
- We recycle our newspapers (Wed & Sun are all we get) and old phone books
- Kids (and myself) do not bathe every day - I truly do not believe we are that dirty!
- Bath towels are washed maybe every 2 weeks - seriously, you are clean when you use it!!
(Anybody think we are dirty and gross yet?!) :)
- Laundry is ALL washed in cold water
- Lights and water are always turned off if not actively being used
- I reuse my Zip Lock bags (Rick hates this!)
- Plastic grocery bags are my only form of garbage bags (Target's rock!)
Ok, so those are just a few things! But on the other hand, there are things that I have been doing more recently that aren't all that Earth Friendly (and maybe not as economical)
- I LOVE disposable Lysol wipes!
- I also love Scotch Brite disposable toilet bowl scrubbers!
- Paper towels (or paper "tow wow wow wows" as Tabitha calls them!)
are used way too much here! We need to work on that!
Now, the ONLY reason I started using the Lysol wipes and toilet scrubbers are because I either had coupons or rebates for them that made them FREE!! So I stocked up and I am hooked! If you'd like to try out the disposable toilet scrubbers yourself, go here for a FREE Coupon!
I have a couple of things that I am going to start implementing VERY soon to be a bit more Earth Friendly.
- My hubby is going to put in a clothesline outside! I am SO excited! I have been practically begging for one since last spring and it never happened last year so last summer he was given the deadline of Mother's Day 2008 - Better get busy Honey Buns!
- We are slowly changing out our light bulbs with energy efficient ones
- We will be planting our garden in a couple weeks - And it will be about twice the size or bigger than last year! We may even do some fruit trees this year.
- I am going to start using reusable shopping bags for my smaller trips to the store. We got one at a zoo we stopped at on our way home from Kansas, and I just filled out a little quiz for another one!
Go here to fill out the quiz and get one of your own!
And one I am now debating - Cloth Napkins. That would really cut down on our paper towel issue. I could get remnant fabrics for cheap at WalMart and make our own fun ones and save my nice white ones for nice times. Hmmm . . . . Any thoughts on that?
What are your plans for celebrating Earth Day?
P.S. The answers for the quiz above are 1-B, 2-C, 3-A, 4-C, 5-D, 6-B, 7-B, 8-D, 9-B, 10-A